The Sporting Scene

Games Interrupt Rugby Week

The Crimson placed third out of six college teams sailing in the Oberg Trophy meet yesterday. The racing committee as of yesterday had not decided whether M.I.T. or Tufts finished in first place for the trophy.

The two teams fought a close race in the scoring, with the Engineers holding a slight edge. The dispute arose when a Tufts crew claimed points for breaking down, even though their boat completed the race. The additional points would give the victory to Tufts.

The varsity's three skippers, John Deknatel, Bill Owens, and Tommy Townsend, each secured third places in the three divisions of the races. The Crimson team amassed a total of 84 points to M.I.T.'s 100.

* * *

Leverett jumped off to a quick start on Tuesday in the Strauss Trophy competition. The Bunnies defeated Dudley in soccer, 2 to 1, and romped over Adams in touch football with a 52-6 victory. Jack Canning, Paul Rosenthal, Nobi Smith, and Bob Storey led the scoring in the second game.

Last year's trophy winner, Dunster House, lost both of its opening contests. Lowell defeated the Funsters in soccer, 2 to 1 while Eliot beat them in touch football, 24 to 6.

* * *

Wigglesworth East and Thayer South remained tied for first place in National League touch football Tuesday, as Thayer South beat Straus South 19 to 7, and Wigglesworth East won by default over Stoughton. Hollis took another default win over Weld North.

In American League play, Grays defeated Lionel, 19 to 7, Mower beat Weld South, 31 to 18, and Straus North bowed to Thayer Middle, 7 to 0. Matthews leads the American League with a 2-0 record.