Chinese Students To Get Aid from State Department

Funds from ECA will be made available to Chinese students in American universities who are specializing in certain scientific and technical fields, the State Department has announced. Grants to individuals may be large enough to cover tuition, travel, room, and board.

The object of the State Department program is to enable students to achieve their educational objectives, so that they can return to China and use their knowledge and skill in rebuilding their country, the University revealed yesterday.

Those interested in applying for this aid should report to the Foreign Student Office at 24 Quincy Street. In order to be eligible for assistance, a student must fulfill all of the following conditions:

He must be a citizen of China, in need of financial assistance, and enrolled in a course of study since the Fall term of 1948 or earlier. He must also be majoring in what the State Department calls "a technical field," and he will be required to sign a pledge to return to China when his education is finished. Students concentrating in Social Sciences and Humanities will not be considered for grants.

Special application forms will be provided by the State Department, and all applications must be in the hands of the State Department by May 1, 1949.