Heavy Crews Sweep River; 150's Beat MIT in Darkness

By Douglas M. Fouquet

With lights guiding their way, the varsity and jayvee 150-1b, crews both defeated MIT Saturday evening on the Charles after the finish of the varsity heavies race. Earlier while it was still dusk, the freshmen fifties also beat the Engineers.

The three lightweight races were originally scheduled for mid-afternoon, but the severe choppiness of the water in the Charles basin forced postponement. The freshman 'fifties finally raced at 6:45 p.m., while the jayvees and varsity rowed together at 7:15 p.m. in a race too dark to clock or estimate the margin of finish.

Crimson Gets Early Lead

By the time of the varsity-jayvee race, the wind and rain had all but stopped, but policeboat searchlights had to spot the starting line.

Both the Crimson varsity and jayvees immediately developed quarter-length leads and increased them gradually although staying together. With a flashing red light marking the finish, the varsity and first jayvee eights finished one and two, ahead of the MIT varsity, MIT jayvees, and Harvard second Jayvees.

In the freshman 150-1b, race MIT again followed two Crimson shells. The first Yardling boat had a 7:09 clocking for the Henley distance and finished three lengths ahead of the second freshmen, timed at 7:39 and three and a half lengths ahead of MIT, timed at 7:43.

The Harvard boatings:

Varsity--stroke, Smith; 7, Barrett; 6, Potter; 5, Clark; 4, Grosvenor; 3, Bordman; 2, Menslage; bow, Allen; cox, Osborne.

Freshmen--stroke, Flagg; 7, Watkins; 6, House; 5, Morgan; 4, Benson; 3, Holden; 2, Beggs; bow, Mitchell; cox, Gordon.