Council Ends Financial Aid To Red Book

Will Support Album, Register; Approves Freshman Charter; Proposes 2 Finance Drives

The Red Book died Thursday night as an official freshman annual.

After a year of investigation, and over an hour of vigorous debate, the Council voted to withdraw financial support from the yearbook after this year.

It did, however, vote to continue support of the Freshman Register, and an album of unspecified character.

The Council move does not preclude publication of a Red Book-it means merely that the Council, which has under-written the annual in the past and this year, will not back it financially in the future.

Four Proposals

Altogether four different solutions to the problem were debated by the Council in its Thursday session. The three losing proposals were for:

1) a Register, Red Book, and yearbook for the upper three classes,

2) a Register and a Class Album to be a record of the class' four years.

3) a Register and a yearbook for all four classes.

The Council move followed a report by a committee headed by Charles W. Detjen '50 which had recommended proposal number three. Detjen's report had been given at the May 2 meeting of the Council and been tabled for further consideration.

Results of the poll taken last month of the Whole college on the popularity of the Red Book were not included in Detjen's report.

Freshman Constitution

At Thursday's session, the Council also gave final approval to the new freshman constitution, making one change that Dean Leighton had recommended. The constitution now goes to Dean Leighton for the last approval required before it goes into law.

Two Drives

The Council also voted to recommend that next year's Council run two finance drives, one each term, instead of the present single one. Next week it will decide whether or not these drives should be split--one collecting for the Council and other College purposes, and the other for outside charities.