Liberal Union Selects Dowd As President

Bennett Is New Vice-President; HLU Votes $100 to Radcliffe Drive for Displaced Person

The Liberal Union held its semi-annual elections in Leverett Junior Common Room last night and chose Donald W. Dowd '51 president and John T. Bennett '50 vice-president for the fall term.

Other officers selected in the evening's balloting were Albert R. Giddis '52, secretary; C. William Chastain '52, treasurer; Ulric Neisser '50, publicity director; and David M. Heer '50, film series director.

Three others--William Tager '50, Donald Foy '51, and Leland Schoen '52--were named as delegates to the Students for Democratic Action convention which meets in Columbus, Ohio, on June 17 and 18.

The HLU also voted to donate $100 to the Radcliffe Freshman Displaced Persons drive which has fallen short of its mark.

Resolutions

Before the elections began, a resolution condemning the suppression of leftist groups and activities in American colleges was overwhelmingly passed. Another resolution calling on the president and Congress to urge a convention to discuss establishment of a federal world government was defeated by a close vote.

The HLU passed one more resolution applauding David E. Lilienthal's decision to grant an Atomic Energy fellowship to a qualified student, even though the student was a member of the Communist Party.