Hub Celebration of UNESCO Day Finishes Up in Sanders

International UNESCO day, New England branch, came to roost in Sanders Theater last night as the United Nations Council played host for the finale of the local celebration.

The New England Committee for the United Nations Economic, Social, and Cultural Organization sponsored speeches by Luther Evans, Librarian of Congress; Mildred McAfee Horton, retiring president of Wellesley College; Bart. J. Bok, Robert Wheeler Willson Professor of Aplied Astronomy and associate director of the Observatory; and Robert S. Smith 2G, member of the executive board of the United States delegation to UNESCO.

Evans, the featured speaker, said that UNESCO's work is basically long-term in nature. He declared that it will continue to try to hasten the process of assimilating the different cultures of the world though wars may intervene.

Wyman Holmes, chairman of the New England Committee for UNESCO, was master of ceremonies, and Paul L. Wright '49, College representative on the Committee acted as host for the UN Council.

Ceremonies earlier in the day included a lengthy series of pauels broadeast overseas by WRUL in Boston.