Nine Outclasses West Point, 10-0

By Peter B

Powerful hitting, fine fielding, and expert pitching--the Harvard baseball team, which is used to exhibiting these qualities one at a time, unleashed all three against Army here Saturday. The result was a 10 to 0 victory, the Crimson's first shutout the season.

The locals pounced on three Cadet pitchers for 13 hits, their second highest total of the season. This attack included a triple by Ernie Mannino and a homer by Cliff Crosby, which, coming right next to each other, had Arnold Galiffa prancing all over left field, from the foul line into deep left center. Galiffa appeared in left for the first time this season (he usually plays first) in a move calculated to pack more power in to the Army lineup.

Godin Masterful

It wasn't a very successful move. Ira Godin held the Kaydets to five singles and struck out 14 of them. In the seventh inning, when the visitors bunched three of their hits, a nice throw by Chuck Roche cut down Galiffa, who was trying to go from first to third on a single. A force at second and a fly to left got Godin out of trouble. Otherwise he relied on the strikeout weapon to preserve order.

Harvard got three runs in the first on four singles and a walk and five more in the fourth before starter Ted Griesinger was lifted. Jack McCarthy gave up an-other run that inning and Jack Mackmull, who came over from third to pitch the last two innings, yielded a run in the eighth when Roche came home on a double steal.

The box score: HARVARD (10)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Dunn, ss  4  1  0  1  4  0 Roche, rf  5  3  3  1  1  0 Foynes, lf  5  2  2  2  0  0 Coulson, 1b  4  1  2  6  0  0 Moffie, cf  4  0  1  0  1  0 Mannino, 3b  2  1  2  1  2  0 Crosby, c  4  1  2  13  2  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  4  0  1  3  0  1 Godin, p  2  1  0  0  1  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals  34  10  13  27  11  1

RBI--Roche 2, Moffle 2, Mannino 1, Crosby 4