7 New Junior Fellows Gain Appointments

New Men Increase University Total to Over 80, Will Join Society in July for 3 Years

Seven more young scholars will join the Society of Fellows July 1 for three years of free study and research, the University announced today.

Appointment of the new Junior Fellows brings the total membership of the 16-year-old Society to over 80. All Fellows have been selected for "resourcefulness, initiative, intellectual curiosity, and promise of notable contribution to one or more . . . fields of knowledge and thought."

The new Fellows are:

Douglas Anger, psychologist, of Sheldon, Connecticut. A.B. Colgate University, 1943.

Lewis McA. Branscomb, physicist, of Nashville, Tennessee. A.B. Duke University, 1945; A.M. Harvard, 1947.

William A. Chaney, historian, of Berkely, California A.B. University of California, 1943; Ph.D. University of California, June, 1949.

William H. Drury, Jr., biologist, of Newport, Rhode Island, A.B. Harvard, 1942; A.M. Harvard, 1948.

George Fischer, historian, of Madison, Wisconsin. A.B. University of Wisconsin, 1947; A.M. Harvard, 1949.

Howard S. Hibbett, Jr., linguist, of Woodside, New York. A.B. Harvard, 1947.

Zeph Stewart, classicist, of Cincinnati, Ohio. A.B. Yale, 1942.

More than 50 Fellows are now teaching in colleges and universities, and others hold industrial and government positions. They have published over 50 books and hundreds of technical papers: former members have developed synthetic quinine and developed "fibrin film" for use in brain operations.