Grad Council Hits Impasse Over Parking

Group Submits Parking Ideas, Debates Change in Parietal Rules for New Grad Center

A Graduate Student Council resolution rapped the Administration last night for its lack of action toward "alleviating parking strictures for graduate students to whom ears are essential."

At the same time the Council approved a list of Parking Committee recommendations which will be sent to The Council of Deans in the near future. The report calls for:

(1) Allowing overnight parking in University lots for residents of the Houses.

(2) Allowing parking on Oxford St. and Divinity Ave. by permit only, issued with preference to commuting students.

(3) Encouraging commuters to use Everett, Mellen, Wendell, and Sacremento streets for parking, despite the necessity of a short walk to University buildings.

Grad Center Discussed

The Council last night also considered amendments to a forthcoming report on its recommendations concerning the new Graduate Student Center which is scheduled for completion in August.

Discussion centered about proposed changes in parietal rules now in effect regarding the entertaining of women in students' rooms. A comparison of parietal rules at Yale, Princeton, MIT, and Harvard was made, but the Graduate Council did not make a final decision as to what it would recommend in its report.

MIT has no regulations on this count, while Yale permits women in men's rooms until 8 p.m. on weekdays and 10 p.m. on Saturdays without proctor's permission. Princeton allows men to entertain until midnight during the week and 1 a.m. Saturday, likewise without the necessity of proctor's approval.

Current Harvard grad school regulations allow entertaining until 10 p.m. with the written permission of the proctor.