Six Collapses, Bows to Brown, 8-3

Revised Lineup Scores In First Period but Fails in Late Stages

By Douglas M. Fouquet

For exactly one period last night at the Arena, a specially-conceived Harvard attack looked as if it might outclass Brown's hockey team; but then everything fell apart. The Bruina scored seven straight goals, took an 8 to 3 victory, and with it, most of the Crimson's hopes for a Pentagonal League championship.

Instead of working with his customary forward-line arrangement. Coach Chase has completely shufiled his linemen to provide three combinations of more or less equal strength. In the first period the best two of these lines produced three goals. But for the rest of the game the plan didn't work: each line constantly revealed its understandable lack of co-ordination, and this, coupled with several severe defensive lapses and a sub-par game by goalie Johnny Chase, cost Harvard the game.

The Crimson's first period success was largely a matter of capitalizing on moments when the Brown goal was unguarded. At 7:56 Bill Garrity, skating in on a pass from Algie Allen, opened the scoring with a shot from 30 feet to the right of the nets.

After Brown had tied the game at 1 and 1, Bob Dilliasio and Joe Kittredge gave Harvard a 3 to 1 lead with goals at 13:53 and 18:56. The first came on a rebound shot in the goal month and the second on a beautifully-centered pass from Lew Preston on the right boards.

Second Period Drive

It was early in the second period that Brown began its surge and the Crimson its concurrent collapse. Bruin Don Sennott tallied unassisted at 2:17, and then sophomore first line center All Gubbins produced a six-minute hat trick with scores at 4:35, 9:31, and 10:33. Crimson goalie Johnny Chase was uncovered by his defense on the first two goals and was screened on the third one.

Brown carried its domination into the third period, but on a slightly less spectular scale. A short shot by Dick Brown caught the left side of the Crimson nets at 3:52, and later, at 17:11, when Coach Chase had five forwards on the ice, Git Priestley broke through alone on goalie Chase.

Preston Injured

Just before the end of the game Preston slipped near center ice and banged his head at the bottom of the boards. The big forward had to be helped from the ice, but he'll make the trip to Army Saturday.

In the second game of the Arena doubleheader, BU topped Northeastern, 6 to 1.

The Crimson lineup: Chase, g; Allen, ld; Carman, rd; Timpson, lw; Kittredge, c; Preston, rw.

Crimson scoring: Goals--DiBlasio, Garrity, Kittredge; Assists--Preston (2), Garrity, Allen.