U of Mass Races Varsity Track in Briggs Encounter

Jaakko Mikkola's winter track squad will make its second informal appearance tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Briggs Cage when it takes on a University of Massachusetts team, which is known to be unusually strong in the long distances. All times and distances will be recorded but no score will be kept.

In its only showing thus far this year the Crimson put on an impressive performance in an informal meet against Boston University and Northeastern. Although scores were not kept, Harvard showed a clear edge throughout.

In its 21-34 cross country win over the Crimson this fall, Massachusetts proved its power in the distances. But Harvard coach Jaakko Mikkola feels confident that his team will put up a good fight in the distance races and that any possible Massachusetts edge in that department will be offset by Crimson strength in the sprints and weight events.

Looking for good Crimson times and distances in almost all events, Jaakko expects especially strong showings from Captain Jeff Tootell in the discuss, Dick Rubin in the weight, Dave Gregory in the mile and a half, and Dave Cairns in the three-quarter mile.