FCC Says WHRB Clamp Not Intended Test Case

Claims 'Other College Stations' Shut Previously; Doane Still Insists Only WHRB Curtailed

An official spokesman of the Federal Communications Commission denied last night that it was making a test case of the Harvard Radio Network, when the FCC virtually ordered WHRB off the air last Saturday night.

John Frerette, who is on the FCC's Washington Committee investigating college stations, told the CRIMSON "that other college stations have been closed in the past because they failed to comply with the Commission's radiation regulations." Frerette refused to disclose the names of any of the other colleges involved.

Network president Bradford S. Deane '50, when confronted with Frerette's statement, insisted that to his knowledge "WHRB is the first college station the FCC has clamped down on."

WHRB Merely "Advised"

Frerette also claimed last night that the "FCC did not close WHRB but merely advised the station to come within the regulations. They can continue broadcasting if they want on their old signals but of course we would then close the station."

When asked if WHRB might be granted the right to broadcast until the hearings which are tentatively scheduled for April, Frerette replied that "in the absence of any request we cannot waive regulations."

Deane said last night that he had sent just such a request for an extension to the FCC on Sunday. "This letter was sent registered air mail and the FCC has not yet replied," he added.

Network Will Experiment

Until WHRB receives further word from the FCC, Deane said that "the network will conduct experiments to see how low we can drop the radiation output and still have audibility." WHRB will also make repairs and alterations on its Dudley Hall studio, plan new programs, and continue training commentators and technicians.