College Gives Winter Cold Shoulder

Despite the joint machinations of the Weatherman and John L. Lewis, Harvard students will not shiver in bed this winter.

The Cambridge Gas and Light Company, which supplies the University with steam, revealed yesterday that it was "more than ready" to cope with any extended cold spell.

Conversion to oil burning boilers last year accounts for the feeling of optimism regarding the heating situation. More than 85 er cent of the plant's steam generating equipment now burns oil.

Oil Cheaper, Avoids Lewis

According to Harvey Hall, statistical engineer for the company, the use of oil was instituted last year for two reasons: (1) It is cheaper, on a dollar to BTU basis, than hard fuel: (2) "The company no longer is subjected to the whims of the miner's boss, John L. Lewis."

"Our oil supplies are more than adequate at present," Hall said yesterday. The company maintains its own storage depot in South Boston, which is regularly supplied by a fleet of its own tankers.

Can Meet Severe Changes

Even a severe change in temperature, such as occurred last week when the mercury nose-dived from 60 to eight degrees overnight, does not work an unusual hardship.

By way of comparison, on an average winter day with a temperature of 30 degrees, the University uses approximately 3,000,000 pounds of steam each 24 hours. When the temperature skids to 10 above, the consumption is stepped up to 4,000,000 pounds.

Besides keeping the radiators warm the all University buildings in Cambridge and Allston, the company supplies gas for heating and cooking, and hot water for laboratories, gymnasiums, and pools.