Grad Council Calls for Revised Parietal Rules

Report Recommends Abolition Of Permission Slips, End of Chaperones, Extended Hours

Unchaperoned women guests would be allowed in the new Graduate Commons project until midnight on weekdays and 1 a.m. on Sunday mornings with proctorial permission, under plans submitted to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences by the Graduate Council.

In its report, which was made public yesterday, the Council called "ridiculous" the present rules. These require proctorial approval if a woman is to stay until 10 p.m., and the Graduate School Secretary's permission for an extension to midnight.

Criticizing the present provision that more than one woman must be entertained at any one time, and under "proper conditions of chaperonage when necessary," the Council listed several complaints.

Detailed Criticism

The report said "It (more than one guest and chaperonage) is an obvious difficulty for the student living in a separate room, or one whose roommate is away, or for the student who is socially inclined while his roommate is not."

Summarizing its complaints, the Council wrote, "Social misfits will not be bound by regulations however stringent, and the Harvard Graduate School is no place for the irresponsible.... Why must the graduate students, almost all of whom are above the legal age of responsibility, be regarded as near offenders whose habits must be carefully circumscribed?

Individual Responsibility

"The Council feels that each individual must be held accountable for his behavior, but the large, adult student body should be given the responsibility they deserve."

The parietal recommendations were based in part on a questionnaire sent to MIT, Princeton, and Yale, which revealed that none of the graduate schools at those colleges has regulations concerning the number of guests, written permission, or chaperonage.

Other Recommendations

Graduate students should be permitted to eat outside the Commons dining hall, the Graduate Council also urged. This is the rule now in force at Vanserg dining room.

The Council also advised that the Commons provide more rooms for recreational pursuits such as bridge, chess, and music. Its report also suggested that provision be made for large social gathering and the Council's own needs.

Also included in the report is a statement of opposition to racial segregation in the allotment of rooms, and a proposal that the present separation of Law and G.S.A.S. students be continued, except when students from these schools wish to room together.