Johnny Lee Wins AAU Mat Crown

Johnny Lee, captain of the freshman wrestling team, won a New England Amateur Athletic Union 125-pound championship at Huntington YMCA last night.

Lee took three decisions--9 to 0, 5 to 2, and 6 to 2--to get into the semi-finals and registered a second period pin with a cradle hold to carry off first place honors.

Two former Harvard wrestling captains also won titles. Don Louria, now attending the Medical School, won one match on default and gained a 4 to 1 decision over Joe Cardinucel to defend his 191-pound championship. Pete Fuller, competing in the heavyweight division, also took one match on default, scored a 3 to 0 decision in the semi-finals and pinned Dick Towel of Providence in the second period of the finals.

Another freshman, Bud Adams, reach the finals of the 135-pound class before losing a referee's decision to Dick Shorp of Williams. Shorp had already eliminated Icko Iben, Harvard's third freshman entry, by a similar decision in the semifinals. Shorp's brother outpointed Dave Smith, the Crimson's only varsity entrant, 5 to 3, in the 145-pound class semifinals.

Weak performances by some of these men can be partly attributed to exams.