Varsity Squad Takes 1 Hour In Scrimmage

First Monday Contact Work in Five Years

The varsity football team scrimmaged for one hour solid yesterday afternoon, marking the first time in at least five years that a Harvard squad has undergone heavy contact work on the Monday following a game.

After the practice, Coach Lloyd Jordan commented that the Monday scrimmage was necessitated by the considerable amount of work he and his assistants must do with the squad, and that "the only way to learn how to play football is to play football."

Jordan also revealed that Warren Wylie, first string safety man and second string wingback, will be out of action for two weeks with a leg injury incurred on the first play of the Columbia game. The extent of Wylie's injury was not determined until after the game.

Bob Stargel, first string offensive tackle, was limping around with a bruised ankle, but is expected back by tomorrow. John West was sent to the Infirmary with a temperature shortly after reporting for practice.

The scrimmage was aimed at perfecting offensive assignments against one Cornell defense. Tom Ossman replaced West and ran with Carroll Lowenstein, Dave Warden, and Phil Isenberg in the number one backfield. The offensive line included Paul Crowley and Hank Rate, ends; John Nichols and Nick Culolias, tackles; Jerry Kanter and Bill Rosenau, guards; and Buddy Lemay, center.

The defensive team, which later took over on offense, lined up with Dike Hyde and Don Cass, ends; Duke Sedgwick and Phil Connelly, tackles; Dick Heidtmann and John Jennings, guards; Bob Peters and Paul O'Brien, backers-up; Bob Ray and Ron Noonan, halfbacks; and Hardy Cox, safety.

The single wing, as well as the T, was stressed, lefty Gil O'Neil sharing the passing with Lowenstein. Dick Duback, third string tailback, turned in some creditable running.