Charities Group Seeks To Break With Council

Wants P.B.H. Tie for 'Greater Efficiency'

In order to operate "more efficiently," the Combined Charities Committee will try to sever its connection with the Student Council Monday night. Chairman Robert P. Hyde '51 revealed yesterday that the group wants to affiliate with Phillips Brooks House instead.

According to Hyde, the present arrangement creates general confusion. "For example, the council appoints the committee and sets the policy; then a new council comes in and changes the policy," Hyde explained. "Furthermore," he added, "men will probably give more readily to the drive if P.B.H. sponsors it."

P.B.H. Willing

Hyde, who is also president of P.B.H. said that Brooks House has signified a willingness to sponsor the Charities Committee but would not do so unless the Student Council approves the proposal.

The plan to take the Charities Committee from under council sponsorship will be introduced by Charities Treasurer Alvin H. Baum '52 at Monday night's meeting.

"Charities work is in the Brooks House tradition." Hyde said last night. "If you think of the council's function as that of advising the Dean's Office, the charities drive is actually a distraction."

Council Has Power

The present Combined Charities Committee was selected last Spring by the retiring committee. Under the present system the council has powers over it to the extent of approving officers, policy, goal of the drive, distribution of the collected money, and handling the "unallocated funds" that remain after the distribution.

Under the newly proposed system, the Charities Committee would operate as a sub-committee of Brooks House, and would have its officers, policy, and goals approved by the P.B.H. board. But it would use its own discretion in the use of unallocated contributions.