Cambridge Residents Slam Council Proposal to Delay Bike Lane Construction


‘Gender-Affirming Slay Fest’: Harvard College QSA Hosts Annual Queer Prom


‘Not Being Nerds’: Harvard Students Dance to Tinashe at Yardfest


Wrongful Death Trial Against CAMHS Employee Over 2015 Student Suicide To Begin Tuesday


Cornel West, Harvard Affiliates Call for University to Divest from ‘Israeli Apartheid’ at Rally

Deacons Beat Dudley, 6-0; Bellboys Tie Funsters, 0-0


The House football season got off to a low-scoring start Wednesday as Kirkland edged Dudley, 6-0, and Dunster battled Lowell to a 0-0 deadlock. Kirkland needed luck to win, while Dunster played over its head to tie the physically superior Bellboys.

Depth was the deciding factor in the Dudley-Kirkland game. After the first half, the Commuters' offensive team, which also played defense, tired, and was unable to match Kirkland's two well-rested platoons.

The Commuters forward pass combination of the Redmond brothers, Paul to Ambrose, furnished most of the afternoon's action, posing Dudley's only scoring threat. But in the third quarter, during a sustained passing attack, Kirkland's Rod Robbins intercepted a long pass and ran untouched for 40 yards to score the game's only touchdown.

The contest was characterized by a seesaw battle around the midfield territory. Hard-driving Kirkland backs "Slug" Dolan and Jack Greenberg gained yardage at midfield, but the Commuter line held once it was within its own territory. Guard Paul Devergie and tackle Jack Whittacker played well for the Commuters.

Dunster 0, Lowell 0

Lowell tried to score with the passing of Bobby Lawn, but the Funster pass defense was almost perfect. The ground attack of both teams was sloppy, forcing third down punting to minimize losses due to poor ball handling.

Guide Rapheal and Fred Kock of Dunster made yardage in a shuffle pass play that caught the heavier Lowell line off balance. But once in Bellboy territory, the Funsters found that both their passing and running attack was nailed by a fast-charging Lowell line.

The only near-score of the game came at the end of the first half. Dunster took the ball on the Lowell 40, and Rapheal threw a twenty-yard pass to Dekeon, who ran to the eight. The key block was thrown by end Joe Fraser.

Minor injuries among the four teams were numerous during the course of the afternoon. The team that suffered least was the well-conditioned Funster squad, coached by last year's varsity tackle, Chief Bender.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.