Unwelcome Guests: I

The first major assault of the year upon the eight o'clock barrier has been repulsed with light losses on both sides. On the specific issue of the Yale and Dartmouth weekends, there will be no midnight deadline but there may be some minor extensions of the guest privilege on one or both of the weekends.

On the general issue of revision of parietal rules, there will be no recommendation of a change to the faculty. What there will be is a study by the individual Housemasters to see what solutions exist to the problem of entertaining women guests. This problem has grown worse in recent years; the College has increased in size, prices for outside entertainment have gone up, and a larger percentage of students are here on scholarships.

Judging by their unanimous vote in Committee Wednesday, the Housemasters will be eager for a solution that does not involve allowing girls in the rooms after 8 o'clock. It is doubtful how long they will be able to sidestep a solution involving extended room permission in a really thorough investigation; the physical resources for any kind of common-room solution are at present totally inadequate.

The important thing is to make sure that the investigation does not become an attempt to "Study the problem to death." If this can be avoided, then the Masters will face the difficult, but essential, task of reconciling students' need for facilities with Administrative morality.