Rules on 'Cliffe Membership In Clubs Now Well Snarled

Radeliffe girls are as far as they ever were from becoming members of Harvard organizations, Associate Dean Watson explained yesterday.

The situation at the end of last term was that the Harvard Dean's office had reflected a liberal set of rules put up by the Student Council, and the Council had voted down a stricter set that Watson proposed. The council then resubmitted its own proposals to the administration but those have not yet been acted upon.

At Radcliffe, the Student Government last year passed the liberal rules, which had originally been put forward by a joint Harvard-Radeliffe student dean committee. These would have provided that Annex students could join any Harvard group which agreed to admit them and did not have counterpart at Radcliffe, until there were enough of them (20) to form their own organization.

The strict rules, in effect the rules which the Dean's office is now using, limit Radcliffe membership to departmental or "social interest" clubs which have no counterpart at the Annex and which secure the approval of both Harvard and Radcliffe authorities.