Varsity Tests Attack in Scrimmage

Anyone who could produce a bursar's card gained admittance to yesterday's varsity football practice, and about 50 persons took advantage of the opportunity to watch Lloyd Jordan's boys throw passes, defend against pauses and test their ground attack against the junior varsity.

Missing from yesterday's session was first string tailback and captain, Phil Isenberg. According to W. Henry Johnston, the H.A.A.'s outlet for athletic information, Isenberg has a cold and was to have remained overnight in Stillman infirmary.

While Carroll Lowenstein and Gil O'Neil fired passes in an offensive drill, "Kermit Tracy," as simulated by jayvee back Ed Finney, aimed in the direction of a skeleton varsity defense. Finney is not so good a passer as Tracy, the Columbia quarterback, so the pass defense was not really challenged.

Offensive and defensive players were gradually interchanged so that almost all the backs and ends worked on both units. The first string defense, which did not include linemen, had Dike Hyde and Stan Brition, ends; Tom Ossman and Paul O'Brien, backers-up; Hardy Cox and Dusty Burke, halfbacks; and Warren Wylie, safety man. Then George Emmons and Hank Rate went in as ends; Buddy Lemay replaced O'Brien, Bob Ray took over for Burke, Jerry Blitz for Cox, and Dick Duback for Wylie.

All three varsity elevens practiced their running attack against the jayvees. Burke took Isenberg's place at left half on the first team with Lowenstein, fullback Ossman, and wingback Wylie completing the lineup. Lemay ran at center with guards Jerry Kanter and Bill Rosenau, tackles Bob Stargel and Nick Culolias, and ends Rate and Paul Crowley. Blitz, who ran at fullback on the second team, was the varsity's most effective ground-gainer.

The 188 pound sophomore was the first string fullback on Henry Lamar's freshman squad last fall.