Lions Sharpen Up Drills as Game with Crimson Nears

Price, Audette, Hansen, Ward Spark Hobart Slaughter, Show Well in Late Practices

By Lester Tanzer, (Sports Editor of the Columbia Daily Spectator)

NEW YORK CITY, Sept. 5--Columbia's 1950 football team polished up its T-formation attack in a scrimmage at Baker Field yesterday afternoon in preparation for Saturday's encounter with Harvard at Cambridge.

Quarterbacking the squad throughout the workout was the sophomore hopeful Mitch Price. Price broke into the Lion backfield in spectacular fashion last weekend when he completed six out of seven passes thrown. On the field he showed poise and leadership beyond his 18 years while directing his mates to a 42 to 12 rout of Hobart College.

Last year, as a freshman, Price completed 26 of 87 passes--three of them for touchdowns.

Backfield Combination

Working with Price in the backfield were Howard Hansen, Vern Wynott and Paul Vitek, the last of whom has recently undergone a knee operation. Hansen, a hard driving fullback, scored twice on Saturday against the Statesmen. Wynott, a very fast wingback, and Vitek saw limited action in Saturday's contest.

Coach Lou Little sent the forward wall through a rugged workout and the play of the linemen was crisp all afternoon. Ends Don McLean and Wes Bomm consistently outran the secondary to snare passes from Price. Later, last year's field general, Kermit Tracy, took over the passing. Al and Leo Ward also saw action at the end positions, and Al Ward spent some time sharpening up his kicking. He booted six consecutive points after the touchdowns in the Hobart game.

Guards Gerry Audette and Don Trovisano, both of whom will start at Harvard, engaged in heavy duty line work along with sophomore center Dave Beusches and George Vitone. All of these mendrew the praise of Coach Little after the Hobart game. They may be the answer to the line problems which has plagued the Lions for the past two years.