Varsity Works on Blocking For Single Wing Offensive

It was single-wing and then more single-wing on Soldiers Field yesterday as Coach Lloyd Jordan sent his first two teams against the third team and the freshmen in an hour-long scrimmage.

The main purpose of the workout was to perfect blocking assignments for the straight single-wing offense, and the defensive teams were lined up in Holy Cross type alignments. Since much work remains to be done on this score, the squad may alter its usual Thursday practice routine and scrimmage again today.

Gil O'Noil quarterbacked the first string offense, with John West at fullback, Bob Ray at tallback, and Jerry Blits at wingback. The second string corps included quarterback Phil Isenberg, halfbacks Dave Warden and Carroll Lowenstein, and fullback Tommy Ossman Paul Crowley took over for the injured Dike Hyde at left end.

During the effensive drill, the jayvees simulated the Holy Cross pass attack for the benefit of a varsity defense.

The varsity offense experienced considerable difficulty penetrating a stout freshman line, making most of its long gains on passes.

West did crash through for several sizeable advances and Jordan stated after the korkout that West's greater offectiveness from the single-wing may be a result of the fact that he prefers to get the ball directly. Jordan cited the case of an outstanding Pitt fullback who had little success when he transfered to Army with its indirect passing from center.