Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

THE MOVIEGOER

At Loew's State and Orpheum

By Donald Carswell

What's everybody so worried about? The draft? War? Haven't you seen "American Guerilla in the Philippines?" War is just one great big whale of a good time!

Tyrone Power's motor torpedo boat is destroyed by Jap fighter planes on the beach of Leyte, and it in too late for him to get transportation out of the Islands. He tries to get to Australia in a little sail-boat with a crew of flyers. The boat capsizes three days later and they have to swim eight miles back to Leyte.

This might sound like a bad break, but Tyrone has already established a lasting relationship with a French girl, Micheline Prelle, who is an ardent Philippine patriot. As it turns out, she is the wife of one of Leyte's leading planters and organizers of guerillas. This doesn't keep Ty from going to parties with her. And when her husband is killed by the Japanese, Miss Prclle moves right in with Mr. Power.

Meanwhile, Power is cashing in on the recruiting promises. He has learned a trade. He is running a series of radio stations for MacArthur and smoking cigarettes from a pack which says "I shall return . . . Doug MacArthur." His commander will not let him fight, even though killing a Jap gave him "his first real satisfaction" since his MTB burned up.

Tyrone and Micheline spend a good portion of their time necking in a grass hut when there are no parties or village dances to go to, but every few months they have to dodge a Jap patrol. It cannot be denied, however, that variety is the spice of life in the Philippines.

Well, one day there they all are--Ty and Micheline and all the guerillas--when a truck full of Jap soldiers pulls into town. The village church gets shot up something awful and most of the Japs get what's coming to them and those Ty hasn't had a chance to kill yet get in their truck and go away just as the sky begins to buzz with hundreds and hundreds of American planes and it looks like MacArthur was right when he said "I shall return" and sure enough he does return or anyhow somebody wearing stars and dark glasses rides through town on a jeep waving and everybody is yelling and waving American flags and so are Tyrone and Micheline.

Why aren't you?