Democrats Keep Congress; Lucas, Tydings, Myers Lose

Douglas Loses While Nixon, Dirkson Win Senatorial Races

The Democratic Party retained control of the Senate by a slim two vote majority, securing 49 seats to the Republican 47. The outcome in Washington and Idaho remained in doubt until early this morning. If both states had gone Republican, each party would have controlled 48 seats, with the Vice-President's vote controlling the majority.

Incumbent Warren O. Magnuson of Washington finally defeated Republican Walter Williams to give the Democrats a clear majority, while Idaho went Republican with Herman Welker over Democrat D. Worth Clark.

At 3:15 a.m. the Democrats had elected 13 to the Senate, losing three states (Illinois, Maryland, and Idaho). The Republicans elected 12, gained three, and lost none.

In the House, the Democrats had elected 191, gaining two seats and losing seven. The Republicans elected 112, gaining seven and losing one. American Labor lost one.

The Republicans had to capture 49 seats to control the House of Representatives and seven to win the Senate.

Lehman Beats Hanley

In New York, Joseph R. Hanley conceded the election to incumbent Democratic Senator Herbert H. Lehman at 12:45 a.m.

In the key Ohio election, Senator Robert H. Taft was out in front from the start, defeating Democratic State Auditor Joseph T. Ferguson to retain the seat for the G.O.P.

In Maryland, John M. Butler upset Democratic incumbent Millard E. Tydings, chairman of the committee that "white-washed" Senator Joseph McCarthy. The G.O.P. scored another victory in Utah, where Wallace F. Bennett upset Democratic incumbent Elbert D. Thomas.

Democrats William Benton (incumbent in Connecticut) and Thomas C. Hennings of Missouri also won.

Democrats Take 8 in South

The Democrats again won the eight contested Southern seats as anticipated. Lister Hill, Alabama's senior senator, defeated Independent Democrat candidate Admiral John C. Crommelin (ret.).

Unopposed were Democrats J. W. Fulbright of Arkansas, Walter F. George of Georgia, Olin D. Johnston of South Carolina.

Russell B. Long of Louisiana, Earl C. Clements of Kentucky, George A. Smathera of Florida, and Willis Smith and Clyde R. Hooy of North Carolina all posted little-opposed Democratic victories in the South early last night.

Other early victories for the Democratic slate included those of incumbents Carl Hayden of Arizona and Mike Monroney of Oklahoma in the Southwest, and Brien MacMahon of Connecticut and Governor John O. Pastore of Rhode Island.

Early Republican returns showed the expected pattern, with Senators Charles W. Tobey of New Hampshire, Wayne Morse of Oregon, Frank Carison of Kansas, Bourke B. Hickenlooper of Iowa, Homer E. Capebart of Indiana, Henry C. Dworshak of Idaho, Milton R. Young of North Dakota and Alexander Wiley of Wisconsin retaining their seats.

Other early G.O.P. wins included Francis Case of South Dakota and incumbent George D. Aiken of Vermont.

In Illinois, Everett M. Dirkson captured the seat for the Republicans from Senate majority leader Scott W. Lucas. The margin of victory widened as late down-state returns came in.

Republican Richard M. Nixon defeated Holen Gahagen Douglas in California by close to a 2 to 1 majority while Republican incumbent Eugene D. Milliken won over John A. Carrol in Colorado. Both campaigns returned pro-McCarran Act candidates. In Nevada, Patrick A. McCarran defeated Republican George E. Marshall in a close race.Senator ROBERT A. TAFT