Faculty Votes Part Credit to Inducted Men

Ratifies Action on New Grad Parietal Rules

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday voted in a "cumulative credit" plan, under which students called to military service in the middle of a term will receive partial course credits.

This new system will affect only men ordered to service between the end of the tenth week of the term and the date of their final examination, the Faculty decided. As a result, the move does not make necessary any return to universal mid-term grades.

Under the new program, instructors can base the cumulative grades on any "suitable evidence of the quality of the student's work." An hour examination need not be necessary; instructors are free to choose such other testing devices as papers or laboratory reports.

Reversal

Earlier, at the Faculty's meeting three weeks ago, the Administrative Board stated that it dit not believe "cumulative credits" were now necessary, since few men were being called suddenly out of school. But the full Faculty, expressing sympathy for the credits plan, instructed the Committee on Educational Policy to prepare an "equitable system."

The system, voted yesterday, is subject to change at any time, and it is likely that there will be revisions if large numbers of men are called into service in the middle of terms. Registrar Sargent Kennedy '28 said last night that so far no men at all have fallen into this category. Selective Service and the reserves, he said, are now calling students only at the end of the academic year (or term, in the cases of certain reserv branches.)

Official Faculty approval was also given yesterday to the revised graduate dormitory parietal rules, which were prelimin- arily announced by Dean Rogers after last month's Faculty meeting. The new rules end the chaperonage system; set curfews ranging from 7 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. on various days of the week; and establish hearings for violations before the Graduate or Law Dormitory Council