Girls Will Ask Equal Status In Reporting

Radcliffe Center Story Right, Small Agrees

Radcliffe students will circulate petitions next month asking that 'Cliffedwellers get the same treatment as Harvard men in reporting news, the backers of Thursday's original petitions said last night.

They withdrew the Thursday petitions, they said, because they wanted to concentrate "on the basic issue rather than the personal one" of R. Deborah Labenow '51.

In another development, Dean Cronkhite of Radcliffe Graduate School issued a statement Saturday that "the accuracy of the CRIMSON's story on the Radcliffe Graduate Center has never been questioned." Dean Small agreed.

This contradicted an article in Friday's Radcliffe News, saying that the dismissal "was also spurred by (Miss Labenow's) responsibility for another erroneous story. . . . The administration was misrepresented on matters of important administration policy."

The News story was written by Ann Roberts '51, editor-in-chief of the News and a member of Council, to "summarize the issues involved." Miss Roberts said last night, "in writing these two sentences I was confused.

"It was what I thought of the issue at the time. I don't know what gave me the idea."

She added, "The disciplinary action concerning the Graduate Center story was taken against Miss Labenow as a member of the Press Board, not as a CRIMSON correspondent."

Dean Cronkhite explained that Miss Labenow had phoned the story to the Boston Herald without clearing it through the Publicity Office. The Herald never printed the story. The Boston Traveler's correspondent at Harvard, however, picked it out of the CRIMSON and printed it in his newspaper.