Sextet Meets North Dekota, Minnesota on Western Trip

Cooney Weiland faces a tough assignment this vacation. He takes the varsity hockey team on a western trip of four gams, two each against Minnesota and North Dakota. The Crimson party, 22 strong, leaves by plane on December 27, and returns to Cambridge on January 3.

It is a tough assignment, because both Minnesota and North Dakota live up to the reputation of western hockey teams--they are good. And Weiland's team, although it boasts easy victories over M.I.T. and Tufts, fell bard before a strong B.U. sextet, before last night's loss to B.C.

Minnesota's Gophers play host to the Crimson on the nights of December 29 and 20 in Minneapolis. With ten returning lettermen, a senior transfer star, and their own rink for the first time in 29 years, the Gophers will afford stiff competition. Former Chicago Blackhawiks star center, Gopher Coach Dec Romnes will oppose former Bruin star Weiland again. Last year the Gophers won only five out of 16 games.

Romnes has lost only four lettermen from last year's team, and has his second line back intact. This line scored 40 points last season.

North Dakota will be an even tougher opponent for the Crimson in the games played New Year's Day and January 2 at Grand Forks. The Sioux will have played six games by the time they face the Crimson. Last year they won 15, lost six, and tied two, and have a core of lettermen on this year's squad.

The list of players making the western trip appears in the Notice Column.