Book of Knowledge

This April the College will have the annual spring edition of the course catalogue printed, and copies will be pressed into waiting freshman bands. These young men will then choose a field of concentration, and turn in a program to their departments. The estalogue is important for these students and for anyone else who wants to plan ahead.

Obstacles, however, interfere with the planning of a schedule more than year in advance. Though all departments note courses omitted in the coming year, but given the next, many departments do not notify readers about the omission of courses in the future. While officials cannot always anticipate a teacher's departure or discontinuation of a course, they should give warning whenever possible in the catalogue.

More than a concentrator's guide, the catalogue is a shopping list for men taking courses outside their field where advisers cannot give much help. At present many departments write too little about their courses. Space and financial limits prevent describing all courses as fully as those in General Education, which are still largely experimental. But instructors, especially in courses frequented by non-concentrators, should write their comments with the non-concentrator in mind.

College officials have already asked for material for the Spring catalogue. If it is impossible to make many changes in this edition, the next one should try to fulfill the needs of both the settled and the wanderers.