Neill Outlines Moral Pillars

Bishop Stephen C. Neil, Assistant to the Archbishop of Canterbury, last night offered truth, justice, and mercy as the three moral pillars by which society could prevent itself from "going on the rocks."

Speaking in Memorial Church on "What Men Hate to Hear" the Bishop described the world as "more intent on exploitation and making money than on service or doing a good job." He felt it was time man realized that "the wage of sin is death."

"We are pillaging the world of natural resources," he continued, "because we do not recognize that God has put us here as tenants; in like manner, unless we recognize that there is a basic morality, we will be creating a social erosion, an inner decay and disillusionment."

"Each Must Die A Little"

Neill emphasized a doctrine of forgiveness, claiming it was called "old-fashioned" only by those who had themselves never had anything serious to forgive. He also said that "each of us must do a bit of dying, ridding ourselves of that traitor self within us that prevents us from being what we might be."

Referring to psychology as invaluable in curing men of imaginary guilt, he said it nevertheless did not solve the problem of real guilt.

Bishop Neill is at present participating in four University Christian Missions in this country.