Swift, Honest Action

The Student Council has decided to hold a public investigation of the charges that the '50 Class Committee election was "so slovenly run that it presented magnificent openings for dishonest manipulation." For this purpose it has set up a panel consisting of a Council member from the junior class, and the class chairmen of the junior and sophomore class committees, and further requested that Dean Watson be present at the open hearing.

This group is designed to be impartial--there is little chance, considering its makeup, that it will be biased in its conclusions. It has asked the writer of the anonymous letter making the charges of neglect to present his case at the open meeting this afternoon.

In this extraordinarily tangled situation there are valid arguments on both sides. Briefly the Council appears to have been guilty of a certain looseness in its election procedure, while the accuser has made apparently unfounded implications of personal corruptness in various Council and election committee men. But, whatever the results of the argument, we are fortunate in having a chance, by Council decision, to lay forever the ghost of this controversy. We can be pleased that the Council has chosen this quick and open and honest method of conclusively deciding the merits of the case.