PBH Ceremonies Today Celebrate 50th Anniversary

Phillips Brooks House will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary today. Nearly 200 alumni as well as current members and associates of the organization are expected to participate in the religious service, tea, and special dinner which will mark half a century of service to the college and the community.

The first event in the day's proceedings will be a religious service conducted by Dean Sperry at 4 p.m. in Memorial Church. Henry B. Washburn '91, Dean Emeritus of the Episcopal Theological School will speak.

Following this, a tea at PBH has been planned as an opportunity for alumni and friends of the group to meet the present officers and members.

Bender Will Speak

Dean Bender will be among the speakers at a dinner officiated by Dean Sperry in the Eliot House dining hall at 6:30 p.m. Others will be Raymond Dennett '36, Graduate Secretary of PBH from 1936 to 1942, Irving S. Michelman '39, co-chairman of the Social Service Committee during 1938-39, and G. Ellsworth Huggins '01, Graduate Secretary from 1902 to 1908.

Started primarily as a religious organization, PBH during its 50-year life has tended to lean more and more in the direction of social service and charity work, until now its main function is the maintaining of 48 settlement houses in Cambridge and Greater Boston.

The organization's actual anniversary date was January 23; due to the fact fact that this was during reading period, festivities were postponed until today.