New Joint Playwriting Club Will Seek Charter Monday

Thirty Harvard and Radcliffe students rained the curtain last night on a jointly chartered Playwriting and drama group, which will take its constitution to both Student Councils for ratification Monday. As yet nameless, the "dramatists anonymous" set the date for their second meeting at 7:30 p.m. Monday, February 27, in the Noble Room at Phillips Brooks House.

John W. Kerr '52 and Loretta Valtz '52 temporary chairmen, will bring the request for the dual charter to their respective Councils. Twenty 'Cliffe girls, the requisite membership for an Annex undergraduate organization, have signed up for the new group. Twelve Harvard men were present at the meeting.

Original Plays Only

The club intends to produce only original plays. Short range plans include criticism and discussion of plays submitted, and stage readings, open to the public, of those selected. Aiming at keeping expenses for the present at a minimum, the group may attempt production of a play at veterans' hospitals in the vicinity, under the auspices of the American Red Cross Entertainment Committee.

Formed for the purpose of "encouraging college playwrights and giving them an opportunity to see their plays staged," the club will not try to compete with the regular University dramatic groups. The suggestion of a merger with an established drama society was defeated at the meeting on the grounds of this basic difference in purpose and the possibility of the new group's remaining solely a play-reading organization if it were incorporated.