Council Hears Report On 7 Phases of Work

Full texts of reports treating seven aspects of the Students Council's activities were submitted to the Council at its weekly meeting last night.

Some 35 Students, under the chairmanship of Charles R. Brynteson '50 and Walter B. Ranshenbush '50, combined to compile the surveys which considered the Student Council in relation to.

The College Administration, the House System; semi-public corporation (such as N.S.A. and the Salzburg Seminar); freshman activities: Student Council committees, elections, public relations.

The report itself will weigh heavily in the rewriting of the Council Constitution scheduled for this spring. Preliminary discussion of the survey is on the agenda of next week's Council meeting.

NROTC Oath Discussed

Earlier last night's meeting, Edward E. Burke '50, Council President, announced that be, two other Council executives, and a representative of the eight undergraduate organizations protesting the NROTC loyalty certificate would men Friday afternoon with President Conant and Provost Buck to consider University action on the Navy's pledge.

In a report on the state of the Salzburg Seminar, William F. Gleason '50, a member of the Seminar committee, declared that the summer school faced a financial crisis. Estimated operating expenses for next season are $77,500, he explained, but thus far Seminar Fund raisers have accumulated only $13,000.

The Council voted to back a proposal by Gleason that the Harvard student body be encouraged to solicit funds for the Seminar when they go home for spring vacation.

Endorses Bill

The Council also:

1) Endorsed State House Hill 646 to establish special transportation rates for students commuting to college and considered a protest against House Bill 1613 which calls upon college presidents in the Commonwealth to expel communists or communist sympathizers from their teaching staffs.

2) Appointed a three man committee to study a reform of Council election procedures.