Deacons Win Eighth Straight Victory in House Basketball

Kirkland built up its A League basketball lead at the Blockhouse yesterday by ending Lowell's attack, 31 to 30 for the Deacon's eighth straight win. Lowell took a four point lead into the final minute of play, but a free throw and baskets by Pal McCormick and John Pankey won for the Deacons.

In other League contests second place Dudley topped Eliot, 50 to 33, and Leverett defeated Winthrop, 38 to 29. The commuters has in 15 point lead at half-time. Dudley's Rob Hoffman was high scorer with 12 points.

Jim Rose contributed 14 points to the Leverett win over the Puritans. An early ten-point lead provided the winning margin.

As overtime contest featured the B League games, with Hill Campbell of Eliot scoring 31 points plus the winning basket in lead his team to a 46 to 45 triumph over Dudley. Carrol Lowenstein of Dudley contributed 15 points to the losing cause.

In the final game, Kirkland ran away from Dudley, 51 to 25. Frank Bixby scored 15 points and Dave German threw in 12 for the Deacons.

Last night also marked the beginning of inter-House swimming meets. The results were Winthrop over Dudley, 30 to 12. Winthrop over Eliot, 26 to 22, Eliot over Dudley, 33 to 15, Leverett over Dunster, 29 to 19, Lowell over Leverett, 27 to 21 and Adams over Kirkland, 32 to 16.

Hollis, Lionel, Thayer South, and Mower won freshman basketball games yesterday against Massachusetts, stoughton, Weld North, and Matthews North.