Debate Teams Successfully Defend Government Regulation in Industry

Two Harvard debating teams last night successfully defended the affirmative of the national debate topics Resolved, that Basic Non-Agricultural Industries should be Nationalized.

Bruce Lane '52 and Helmut Furth '52 argued the affirmative against Gettysburg College in Leverett House Common Room, while in the Eliot House Junior Common Room, Richard Hulburt '51 and Richard Stewart '51 were defending the same topic against Curry College.

Bruce Lane, the first speaker for the affirmative in the debate against Gettysburg, predicted that there will be a depression in the not too distant future, and added that nationalization is the only way to prevent it. His partner Helmut Furth, stressed the fact that the country's natural resources are in a state of decline and that the monopolies are wasting these resources.

In a defense of capitalism, Brad Taylor of Gettysburg, cited the United States present high standard of living. He said that although America's population is only 1/16 of the world's total, the average output of its industries to more than 1/2 of this total.

In the debate against Curry College, the affirmative maintained that the government can preserve a stable economy through a more efficient control of industry. This economy, they said, has been frustrated by insufficient government control, by monopolies and by "cut-throat competition."

One affirmative and one negative team from Harvard will debate the same topic at MIT starting at 3 p.m. today.

The negative debaters for Harvard are Henry Steiner and Alex Lichauco, while Lee Ward and John Mercy will argue the affirmative.