Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

HYRC Hits at Loyalty Oath

The "informer clause" of the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps loyalty oath is inconsistent "with both the purposes of the loyalty program and the Republican principle of freedom of the individual," the Young Republicans said last night.

Joint resolution by eight student organizations urging revision of the NROTC oath which requires its men to report any contact acquaintances have had with groups labeled subversive by the Attorney General, are consistent with the views of the HYRC, the statement continued.

The HYRC resolution added that the Harvard faculty should apply pressure upon the Navy to change the wording of the pledge.

Loyalty oaths, however, the HYRC noted are part of the necessary right of the Government to check on the loyalty of its employees.

Since loyalty oaths are a "partially effective" method to check on loyalty, the Navy has every right to check loyalties in the NROTC with a pledge in which the "steel pigeon clause" is deleted, the HYRC concluded.