Varsity Wrestlers Compete Today In First Round of Eastern Tourney

Eight varsity wrestlers arrived at Princeton yesterday for the 46th annual championship of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association, which gets under way at 1 p.m. today in Dillon Gym.

There are to changes in the lineup that competed against Yale. Roger Wach goes in at 155 for Tom Connors, who is suffering from water on the knee, and Charlie Keith, usually at 165, takes over at heavy weight for Will Davis, ailing with two bad knees.

Harvard is not expected to do much as a team. Dave Smith, at 136, is the Crimson's best individual hope, although he will have to overcome some stiff competition. Smith went undefeated this year; he was tied once.

The Crimson placed 11th last year as Syracuse won the tam title. Others competing besides the defending champion include Army, Brown, Columbia, Princeton, Yale, Lehigh (runner-up last March), Cornell, Dartmouth, Navy, Penn, Penn State, Temple, and Virginia.

Those surviving the preliminaries this afternoon will enter the quarter finals at 8 p.m. tonight.

The rest of the Harvard contingent includes Joe Kozol (121), Dave Shapiro (128), Bob Abboud (145), Neil Hastie (165), and Captain Bob Claflin (175).

Harvard's best individual entry last year was heavyweight Howie Houston, who advanced to the semi-finals before being eliminated and finished third in his class. Kozol and Abboud dropped out in the preliminaries and Claffin was pinned in the quarter finals.