Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Debaters Defeat Columbia, Tie BC

Crimson debaters won two out of three contests last night, beating Columbia in New York, and splitting with Boston College, in a home-and-away series.

Debating the negative of the topic: "Resolved, That Communists should not be permitted to teach in American colleges and universities," Melvin L. Zurier '50 and A. Werner Pleus '51 won a unanimous decision over Columbia.

Zurier and Pleus argued that undesirables should be prosecuted for their individual misdeeds, not just condemned for belonging to a particular party.

Such mass condemnation could lead to dangerous restrictions on personal liberty, they said.

In the Kirkland Senior Common Room, Melvin C. Shefftz '51 and Julius Adler '52 successfully argued the negative of the subject: "Resolved, That the Communist party should be outlawed in the United States."

At Boston College, Walter C. Carrington '52 and Gordon Zimmerman '52 lost the affirmative of the same question.