Eliot Edges Winthrop, 41-40; First Round Wrestling Ends

Eliot overcame a one-point Winthrop lead in the final seconds to win, 41 to 40, in an "A" League basketball game at the Blockhouse yesterday.

The Puritans, led by Hob Parker, who scored 16 points, were ahead almost all the way, enjoying a 21 to 19 half-time advantage. But with only 12 seconds left to play, the Puritans, leading by one point, lost the ball out of bounds.

Jim Davis of Eliot took the ensuing throw-in, and then she: the winning basket. Davis was high scorer for the Elephants with 11 points.

Eliot's win in basketball followed an Elephant hockey victory over Winthrop, 1 to 0, yesterday.

The House and freshman wrestling tournaments completed their first rounds yesterday on the IAB mats.

In an exceptionally close match Jim Westfall of Dunster won a referee's decision over Charles Gordon of Lowell Westfall, wrestling at 145 pounds, had previously decisioned Joe Broido of Kirkland.

Another fine bout found Mike Park of Adams pinning Len Hill of Kirkland in the fast time of 15 seconds.

The best freshman match found Marty Greenberger of Thayer Middle and Roger Taylor of Matthews South battling for 4 minutes, 50 seconds until Greenberger managed to pin Taylor.

Carl Kanter of Stoughton took only one minute, 39 seconds to pin Marshall Harris of Lionel in the fastest freshman bout of the day.