New Haven RR May Restore Observation Train at Harvard-Yale Regatta June 23

New Parlor Cars Will Replace 'Bleachers,' Absent Since War

Spectators at the Harvard-Yale Regatta at New London, June 23 may again be able to view the race from an observation train, if a proposal of the New Haven Railroad is approved by the Athletic Committees of both Universities.

The boat train made its last appearance in 1941. During the war years, the special cars used in the train went into government service.

Pre-War Train

Consisting of regular bleachers built on standard flatcars, the pre-war train rode down the banks of the Thames, following each of the three races, ending up on a railroad bridge which spans the river at the finish line.

According to the New Haven's new plan, the rolling bleachers will be replaced by wide-windowed parlor cars equipped with a public address system. A $10 fare will cover both transportation costs and spectator privileges.

The New Haven wants to run two special trains, each made up of nine cars and a diner. One train would start from South Station, Boston, the other from Grand Central, New York. At Groton, Connectient, the two specials will be coupled into one train.

Two locomotives, one at each end, will power the combined train up and down the East shore of the Thames. The bridge is wide enough to accommodate the whole train, enabling all passengers to see the finish.

Good View

Resumption of the train service would mean that once again the general public would be able to get a clear view of the Regatta.

Without the train, only people on the yachts that lined the banks of the Thames could see the race clearly.

The New Haven's plan offers coverage of every race. After the running of one, the locomotive at the rear of the train will pull it back up the river again, leaving it in position to follow the next race to the finish line.

All the cars will have especially large windows for better visibility.