HOC Rides Housatonic Rapids in Light Canoes

Ten members of the Outing Club and two seniors from the University of Connecticut completed a one-week, 110-mile canoe trip on the Housatonic River from April 1 to 7.

Under the leadership of E. George Cloutier '51, president of the IICC, the party travelled from Sheffield, Massachusetts, to the mouth of the Housatonic on Long Island Sound.

The group rented six 15-foot aluminum canoes in Cambridge, and used them for the actual travelling. For carrying duffles and portaging the canoes, however, it employed a small pick-up truck and a Jeep station wagon

Cance Upsets

Only one mishap marred the trip. When one of the canoes overturned, it was caught, battered by the current, and badly damaged. According to onlookers, "the stern just seemed to wave in the water." No one, however, was injured.

For the last days's journey, the group rigged jury sails, lashing two canoes together, and raising a poncho to catch the breeze. A strong north wind brought high speeds.

Serenade for the Blue

One of the features of the trip was a beard-growing contest. Entries were judged solely on the basis of quantity and strength of chin hairs, variety of color combinations, length of individual hairs, pattern and shape of beard, and a"all around beauty."

Cloutier took the chin spinach championship, growing a black, semi-bushy van dyke.