Ruggers Polish Teamwork In Four Bermuda Contests

Rugby players arriving back in Cambridge yesterday said that although the team's Bermuda record does not seem impressive, valuable experience was gained during the vacation week. After a slow start, the Crimson finished fast by playing excellent rugby in games with the British Army and Yale.

Joe Eaton, Holly French, Lewis Travis, Bill Boucher, and Colin McIntyre were standouts all week for the Harvard ruggers. In losing a hard-fought, 5 to 3 decision to a heavily favored Eli team, the Crimson showed its best passing and defense. Travis sparked an aggressive line which consistently beat Yale to the ball in the first half. Early in the game the Crimson scored a try but were unable to convert.

That conversion was the deciding factor in the game. The heavier Yale team came back in the second half to score a try and the extra points to win. Footballer Stu Tisdale scored the Eli goal.

Previously in the week the ruggers had dropped a 16 to 0 decision to Princeton, which eventually went on to win the Big Three title, and a 6 to 0 decision to the Bermuda Athletic Association. The only victory of the week came against the British Army team, 17 to 3.

Besides their actions on the playing field, the ruggers had a successful week off the field. Their host, the British Army, showed great hospitality is scheduling at least two cocktail parties for the Crimson, and two balls Wednesday and Saturday. The facts that females outnumbered males, 4 to 1, and that a Tom Collins could be purchased for a shilling about twenty cents), were not overlooked by the Crimson ruggers.