Aid Center Will Help to Allot Low-priced Rooms

To Appraise Financial Status of 400 Men

Students applying for low priced rooms who haven't filed a scholarship application this year should fill out special budget sheets in the Financial Aid Center by the end of this week.

In an attempt to assign low-priced rooms on a fairer basis, the Financial Aid Center is checking the financial position of almost 400 men so that it can advise the Housemasters next week on who needs inexpensive rooms the most.

A "low-priced room" is now anything at $155 per term or less, and about half of this year's applicants want rooms in that range.

Ordinarily the Housemasters make assignments on the basis of financial statements that the students give them. These are incomplete and uncheckable, though, so the Center has taken the job of making a survey of the financial background of each applicant for a cheap room.

Then it will send recommendations to the Masters on relative need of the students.

Along with this immediate program, the Center will make a long-range study of room prices in the College. It will compare the need for low priced rooms with the number available at different prices.

Assistant Dean Richard T. Gill '48, who is doing the individual investigation for the Center, will consider the family financial situation and the College employment record of every student asking for a room at $155 or less.

His information will come from scholarship applications, which carry a complete parent's financial statement, and Employment Office records. Students who want a cheap room but aren't applying for a scholarship will fill out a special budget sheet at the Center.

Recommendations from the Center to the Housemasters will not be binding. The Master remains sole authority on who gets the low priced rooms.