Varsity, Yardling Tennis Teams Rip Wesleyan, Jeffs

A 100-mile jaunt to Wesleyan paid the varsity and freshman tennis teams with a pair of shutouts Wednesday against squads that were playing outdoors for the first time. The freshmen beat Amherst Tuesday, 7 to 2.

In the varsity contest with Wesleyan, only two of the matches went to three sets. Broward Craig and Hilliard Hughes played especially well, taking their matches in straight sets.

Dave Gordon was out-steadied by Wesleyan's Duncan Nelson in the first set of their match, but came back to take a 6-0 second set. Gordon changed his style a third time to take the final set, 6-3.

Singles men Jack Frey. Bob Kaynes, and Bob Bramhall all won handily.

The doubles combination of Dave Aldrich and Chase Peterson performed creditably, winning 7-5, 9-7, against good opposition.

Doubles Win Too

Jerry Murphy and Bob Bramhall, playing first doubles, won their match in three sets. Bill Goodman and Mitch Roose scored for the Crimson in third doubles. (Coach Jack Barnaby said last night that he will probably continue to shift his doubles combinations.)

Charley Ufford was a standout for the freshmen in both matches, beating nationally ranked Eastern players in straight sets. The doubles teams showed strength against Amherst with a clean sweep.

Harry Batton and Paul Trinchieri dropped singles matches, while Art French, Berk Johnson, and Bill Barrington won for the Yardlings.