Rugby Club Faces M.I.T. Today; Yardling Ten Will Play Deerfield

A crippled Crimson rugby team meets strong M.I.T. at 12:15 p.m. today on the M.I.T. football field. With a record of two wins and three losses, the Rugby Club seeks its second straight victory since the Bermuda trip.

Playing without the services of bedridden wing three-quarters Al Green, who scored both tries in last week's 9 to 0 victory over the Westmount English Rugby Club of Montreal, the ruggers will have another tough afternoon. M.I.T. lost to Princeton last week, 6 to 3, and the Tigers defeated Harvard, 13 to 0, on the vacation trip.

By these comparative scores the Engineers should win, but today's starting varsity lineup is much improved over the Bermuda roster.

The Crimson team will be the same one that took the field against Westmount, except that Thorpe Kelly will play in the second line in place of Brad Lundberg, and Bruce White will take over one of the third line positions. Tom Calhoun will also play in the third line with regular George Lee. Sam Butler is slated to fill in for Green beside the other wing three-quarter, Captain Joe Eaton.

Fullback John Densmore, center three-quarter Sam Adams, scrum half John Cotter, and lineman Doug Purdy are four members of today's team that did not make the Bermuda trip, but contributed to last Saturday's first home win. Coach Roger Bennett is counting on them to turn the trick again today.

Dick Whitney's injury-riddled freshman lacrosse team will lay a four-game winning streak on the line this afternoon when it meets Deerfield Academy at Deerfield.

Turk Broder and Ron Huebsch are definitely out, and Whitney will have to shuffle his midfield lines to take up the slack. Hank Wood will hold down his customary position on the first midfield. He will be joined by Pete Franklin, dropped back from the attack, and Skip Johnson, promoted from the third line.

Deerfield Also Injury Ridden

Deerfield has had its share of injuries, too. Midfield star George Lunt has been sidelined by a leg bruise, and coach Ben Havilland has been experimenting with various midfield combinations.

Academy teams stress condition, running, and accurate passing. Deerfield has played only one game so far this year, losing to the Yale freshmen, 8 to 4.

High-scoring attackman and captain Dick Gates will give the Yardling defense plenty of trouble. He tallied twice against the Elis.

The lineups:

Harvard: goal, Rosenman; defense, Batchelder, Martin, and Sexton; midfield, Franklin, Johnson, and Wood; attack, Grant, Hatch, and Palacios.

Deerfield: goal, Chatfield; defense, Brewer, Findlay, and Shively; midfield, Drake, Smith, and Vining; attack, Gates (c), Campbell, and Tiemer.