'53 Ten Snaps Losing Skein, Defeats Lowell Textile, 10-2

The freshman lacrosse team nipped an incipient losing streak yesterday, beating Lowell Textile, 10 to 2. The Yardlings had lost to Williams and Middlesex in their last two games.

Attackman Don Stewart got six goals for the Crimson, five coming on passes from Pete Franklin. Franklin assisted on seven of the freshman goals, and scored one himself.

Lowell played a much better game in the first half than in the second. The Weavers grabbed a one-point lead in the first two minutes, and held the freshmen to four goals during the first two periods.

After midfielder Buddy Linn had tied up the game at 4:18 of the first period, Stewart scored his first goal four minutes later to put the Yardlings ahead permanently.

Norm Hatch, playing for the first time since he sprained his wrist a week ago, scored the third freshman goal at 4:22 of the second period, and Franklin batted in the ball 30 seconds after. Lowells Chuck Tewksbury scored the visitors' last point on a long bounce shot midway in the second period.

In the second half, the freshmen completely outran and out-passed the tiring Weavers. Close checking by the defense and aggressive play by the midfielders, particularly Hank Wood and Linn, kept the ball in Lowell territory.

The score might have been even higher if Hatch had played more than a few minutes. But with the game so one-sided, Coach Dick Whitney decided to save him for Saturday's game with Dartmouth. Another of the injured freshmen, center Ron Huebsch, did not even dress for the game.