6-foot, 8-inch Basketball Star Likely Entrant Here

Martin (Pinetree) Doherty, six-foot, eight-inch basketball center from Pelham, New York, has been accepted as a member of the Class of 1954 and, it was learned yesterday, will enter Harvard in September unless he decides to attend prep school for a year.

Doherty averaged 19.9 points a game last season as Pelham High School, carrying over a ten-game winning streak from the 1948-49 season, went on to run its skein to 30. It also won a district championship for the second straight year. Doherty has played varsity ball there for three seasons.

"I'm awfully mixed up right now," Doherty commented yesterday. He has had offers from approximately 15 schools, including Oklahoma A & M, Oregon State, Colgate, Denver, St. Louis, Holy Cross, Syracuse, Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth. Doherty will know within a day or two whether or not he plans to enter a prep school in the fall; if he decides to go to college, he will almost certainly come here.

Meanwhile, two members of Lowell High School's state champion football team are also fairly sure of coming to Cambridge in September. They are Brian Reynolds, 180-pound fullback and captain of the undefeated baseball team, and Bob Picard, a rugged guard recently elected to the National Honor Society.

A third Lowell player, center Bob Lemire, plans to enter Harvard, Yale, or Penn and Roger Ready, a 210-pound tackle, is reported planning to attend a prep school for a year before entering here.

Reynolds' and Picard's worries now are largely financial. Picard, however, expects to receive a scholarship from the Harvard Club of Lowell and one of the school's assistant coaches, a graduate of the College, hopes to get the pair jobs in Cambridge.