Cambridge Wins 3rd Place In National Safety Contest

For the jaywalker, Cambridge is the third safest city of its size in the United States.

At a meeting of the Cambridge City Council yesterday afternoon, Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 announced that he has received word from the American Automobile Association in Washington, D.C. that this city is a third place winner in a competition--the 1949 National Pedestrian Protection Contest--sponsored by that body.

In connection with this contest, Captain Edward J. Maher and Officer James L. Delaney of the Cambridge Police Department worked for several weeks last month to compile the information for the report on which the judges acted. In Washington, cities were judged according to size of population and area. Cambridge came through in a show position tie with Richmond, Virginia, for the category of a city with 100,000 to 200,000 population covering approximately seven square miles.

On announcing the honor, Mayor Crane stated that "many of our citizens undoubtedly do not realize the improvement in pedestrian experience in the national traffic accident picture." Crane asked the City Council to express its sincere congratulations and gratitude to the citizens of Cambridge for their "added care" and to Maher and Delaney for their part in attaining the award.