Council Gets New Set of Activities Rules Tonight

Varsity Club, Constitution on Agenda

New rules for undergraduate organizations, substantially condensed from the original 33 pages, will be submitted to the Student Council by D. Broward Craig '50 at a Council meeting tonight.

A six-man committee, whose members represent the different views of the student body on extra-curricular activities, was finishing its draft of the rules late last night. The committee has been working on the revision of the regulations for the past three and a half weeks, initially under the chairmanship of William D. Mulholland, Jr. '50. Mulholland left after his generals, however, to take a job with the New York State Park Commission.

In their current state, the rules are nine and a half pages long and constitute a compromise of those College factions which favored a highly generalized set of rules and those which wanted more detailed regulations.

Six Starters

Originally the committee consisted of Mulholland, Richard M. Sandler '52, Richard W. Kimball '50, Sanford J. Langa '51, John R. W. Small '51, and N. Conant Webb, Jr. '49. Sandler left the committee to work on the Council's constitutional revision.

The Council will probably take no action on the new rules except to have them mimeographed so that they can be once again submitted to the consideration of the various undergraduate groups.

Re-opening of discussion on the proposed construction of a new Varsity Club is also on the Council's agenda for tonight. At last week's meeting, debate on the issue broke down when it was discovered that no one knew specifically to what extent the Corporation was committed by the will of Allston Burr '89 to build a Varsity Club.

Charles R. Brynteson '50, chairman of the Council constitutional revision committee, will renew discussion tonight on the membership changes his draft of a new constitution proposes. The Council must pass on the constitutional revisions this week if it hopes to submit them to a College referendum this term.

Fall Election

Since Brynteson's committee proposes that Council terms run from the beginning of spring term to the end of fall term, instead of the current September to June term, adoption of the constitutional revisions would force an election next fall.

The new membership clauses also require the appointment of six members to the Council by November 1. These appointed delegates, the revised constitution says, "shall . . . undertake advisory projects . . . that is, to evaluate University policy toward undergraduates and to advise University officials."

A recommendation that the Freshman Union Committee choose a voting delegate to the Council at the end of the fall term is also included in the constitutional recommendations.